Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

I started my St. Paddy's Day with a bang this year. With quite a few bangs, to be exact. Or to be not at all exact, but more truthful. The husband and I went to the midnight showing of V for Vendetta at the Imax theatre on the Navy Pier. It was fan-freaking-tastic. I'm not a fan of bloody gory movies. I'm also not a fan of movies that say that violence IS the answer. Despite that, I really loved this movie. It had some fantastic quotes which my sleep-deprived mind is going to try and recreate for you..
"If there is a revolution without dancing, I want no part of it." (I know I have this one worded improperly, but I LOVE IT anyway.)
"People should not be afraid of their government. Government should be afraid of their people."
"Remember, remember the fifth of November,
gunpowder, treason and plot,
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot."
"I'm just pointing out the inherent irony in asking a man in a mask who he is."
When we first meet V, he has this speech in which every other word or so is a V word. It's brilliantly crafted. It's also far to long for me to have memorized on the spot. I need to see this movie again.

I have more in depth commentary, but it needs to wait until a) more people on my list have seen the movie and b) I have slept a decent amount.

I got home last night around 3:30, got to sleep around 4, had to be up again by 5 so I could be to work at 6. I have since slept about 4 more hours, but still. I'm sleepy.

Edited to say: Hugo Weaving is fantastic. I half expected, "Welcome to Rivendale, Mr. Anderson."