Sunday, January 22, 2006

Crab Apple part deux

I have had my email beaten down with requests (well ... one, that is) as to the awesomeness of the Crab Apple book I mentioned in my last post. My answer to the question, "Is the book awesome?" is an undeniable yes.

Crab Apple only uses 10 words, but it uses them to their fullest. It is a heartwrenching tale of a crabby crab apple who sits all alone under a tree. A worm comes bump bump bump bumping by and the crab apple, in a fit of nihilistic withdrawal from the world, the crab apple crabs at the worm. The worm, frightened and unsure of this pessimistic world view (being a generally optimistic worm) says "eek!" and squiggles away. Alone again, but not for long, because a beautiful blue bird also comes along to say hi to our hero the crab apple. The crab apple would much rather be left alone, and in a fit of existential disgust the crab apple again crabs at the blue bird. The blue bird, in harmony with the worm who came before also says, "eek!" and flies away.

The crab apple is finally alone, until the worm comes back ...

I don't want to ruin the ending for you, I just want you to know that the ending only uses two of those ten words, but it really is a truly special moment.

And that concludes my first book review on this blog. Do keep an eye out for many more. Probably many more children's books, since that is where my life is this semester!

No comments: