Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I've had an absolutely crazy two weeks. Between Thanksgiving, school, work, NaNoWriMo, and being a newlywed, spending time on the computer not doing schoolwork or NaNo writing just hasn't been much of an option.

Anyway, I apologize profusely for neglecting my three readers and promise to try and be better in the future. I will update much soon about my Thanksgiving trials and travails. For now, a moment of pop culture.

It seems like all the friends I have made since starting library school have been big Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans. Since I love Firefly, I already was a Joss Whedon fan (Joss Whedon is the creator of both series), so when one of the friends said she had it available to be borrowed, I jumped at the chance.

Giles is the librarian. While I don’t dislike computers – I actually am rather fond of him – this exchange made me fall madly in love with him.

Ms Calendar: Honestly, what is it about [computers] that bothers you so much?
Giles: The smell.
Ms Calendar: Computers don't smell, Rupert.
Giles: I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell. Musty and, and, and, and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer, is, it ... it has no texture, no context. It's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then the getting of knowledge should be tangible, it should be, um... smelly.

::sigh:: beautiful.

In other news, I asked my husband if I could have money to buy a slinky dress. He told me I could. When I told him what the dress was and how much the starting bid is, he kinda backed off.

They’re auctioning off some of the original costumes from firefly. That includes the ball gown Inara wore in Shindig. Bidding starts at $2,500 This dress is beautiful. If it had been available when I was getting married I would have secretly wished for it as a wedding dress. You can see how beautiful the bodice of this dress is here and you can see how beautiful the back is here and you can see more of the pretty skirt here.here. I'm sorry that I couldn't find a better full shot of the whole dress, but it is beautiful, yes? Yes. Anyone want to buy it for me?

Anyway - lots of Thanksgiving madness posts to come.

4 comments:

Tabitha Dial said...

Excellent untitled post!!!

I remember the smell of books. I remember the smell of them at Mesa Library... is that what it is called!?? Very textural... I remember looking for new Oz books to read there. I remember the hardbacks with their plastic on them.

(I also remember that mural of the dragon in the hammock-- didn't he just roast a marshmallow!??)

I remember how my mother's books smell, too.

And my copy of Letters to a Young Poet is beginning to smell!

All my newer books might start to smell, too, since the get a bit moist in the basement here....

But anyway!!!

That excerpt is very good--- thanks for sharing.

And that dress is pretty. But no, I won't buy it for you, and whatever happened to that orange number...? ;-)

Love Ya!!!

P.S.--- I am glad you are working with smelly, tactile books...

P.P.S.-- CAN YOU TELL US DEAR READERS ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT YOU WROTE FOR NANOWRIMO!??? PLEEEASE!??

Anonymous said...

The dress is very Susan... I can totally see you wearing that to your wedding. You all know I hate computers. I hadn't thought about the smell aspect before, but I'll add that to my list of reasons to hate them.

Tabitha Dial said...

Please update your site... please please.... and tell us what you wrote for NaNoWriMo!!!

Please.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

now I'm interested ---- \
jal