Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mock Newbery

Mock Newbery season is here! I've found 3 lists so far - Early Words, Allen County Public Library (which will add more soon) and Anderson's Bookshop (note: their list isn't online yet).

I have compiled all the lists into one big Mock Newbery List on Goodreads. Note - since you have to go into Anderson's store to get their list I'm not going to tag their books with Anderson's, but I have added them to the list. Once they put their list online I'll link to it and tag all those books but since they're purposefully keeping it small for the moment I'm not going to expose their list too badly! (:

I love award season and Mock award season always makes me giddy with what is to come. I've successfully predicted the Newbery 2 years in a row (although I don't think that was much of a stretch. The Graveyard Book and When You Reach Me were both phenomenal and somewhat obvious?) so I feel the need to start reading all these books and seeing what I think! So far my favorite book that I've read this year is One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams Garcia, so that's my current pick. I'll review that one soon and let y'all know what I think about the rest of the books on these lists!

So what about you? What books are you rooting for? Have you found any other Mock Newbery lists yet? Are you excited for award season?

4 comments:

Anna B said...

I haven't read any of those, although a couple are in my pile of galleys from the other day. I need to get on it!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm surprised how many books on that list I haven't even heard of!

I'm just impressed that, the last two years, I've managed to READ the Newbery before it won-- never mind predicting it. As long as I can keep up THAT streak, I'll be content. So far I've read The Mysterious Howling, Alchemy and Meggy Swann, One Crazy Summer, and Countdown, and Mockingbird is in the pile I just got from the library yesterday. Of all those the Mysterious Howling was probably my FAVORITE, but I would never have called it for a Newbery contender, 'specially as it kind of ends on a cliffhanger and the book's supposed to stand alone (though I guess techincally you don't have to read any OTHER book first). I loved Meggy Swann, but found the story arc kind of, um, not arc-y enough? I don't know, it just doesn't seem perfect enough for Newbery material. One Crazy Summer I thought was good, but it didn't jump out at me with wonderfulness; and Countdown I wonder if the story can stand on its own enough, because it was all those propoganda posters that really gave it its flavor, I thought.

And so many others on here... I wonder if I'll pull off reading the winner ahead of time this year!

Pragmatic Mom said...

I love the idea of a Mock Newbery! I can't wait to see the list you compile!

Pragmatic Mom said...

ps I am going to repost your post on the Mock Newbery List on my blog! I'll link to you and credit to you, of course. My readers will love this!