Saturday, December 11, 2010


Lately I've been inundated with fantastic picture books on our New Books cart - so I'm going to share some of my absolute favorites. Quick little reviews - aaaand GO!

Sleepy, oh so Sleepy by Denise Fleming - I brought this book home last night on a whim because of a love of the cover and it was such a win. I love Denise Fleming's art - the narrator looks at various baby animals being "sleepy, oh so sleepy!" then asks where hir sleepy little baby is then off to look at more adorable sleepy baby animals. This is basically cute overload the picture book - and I mean that in the best possible way.

More Bears! by Kenn Nesbitt ; illustrated by Troy Cummings is absolutely adorable and reminds me of stories that I tell Kins and Pips. I've got an idea in my head and I know where it's going ... "and then a WITCH came!" Only in this book the Kinses and Pipses keep yelling "MORE BEARS!" so the writer keeps adding in more and more bears and really it is complete fun. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

I've been hearing really good things about There's Going to be a Baby by John Burningham with illustrations by Helen Oxenbury for awhile so I was excited when it showed up on our New Books cart! All the buzz is worth it. A mother and son (side note: it's very obvious that it is a boy child in the bath so be forewarned that some parent may mention it) are discussing the new baby coming and what sorts of things the baby will do. Big brother is having problems envisioning the baby growing up but that just makes the conversation all the better! And Helen Oxenbury is always a favorite - I love her art - and this book is one of her best. The illustrations are perfect.

I'm in love with the cover of The Wonderful Book by Leonid Gore. The actual story is wonderful as well but that cover! Just look at it! This is a story of a book lost in the forest and every animal uses it for a different purpose until a little boy comes along and reads the story inside - the story of the animals who found the book before the boy.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love seeing your suggestions (I've been picking books off your lists that you posted on goodreads). I think we just requested every single book you mentioned in this entry.
Any suggestions on chapter books for kids - that I could read a-loud to them? I think maybe E.B White is a good place to start? I thought Judy Blume would be fun but I think the characters are too old? What about Roald Dahl? Also too old?